Monday, November 23, 2015

Owl Update: Cue Trumpets

Well...remember that Barred Owl that was like five minutes from my front doorstep that I couldn't find because owls hate me for some reason? So my friend who originally found it texted me that the owl was calling. I had just stepped in the door and was in the middle of enjoying pepperoni slices when I got the text. I flew over there in my '98 Honda Civic...so I didn't really fly...you get the point. I ran through the woods to where he told me to meet him. We then proceeded to walk in the direction of where the bird called from. After about fifteen minutes of digging through evergreens, my friend yells and points "THERE I-" as it zips out of an evergreen tree. I was able to get some crappy but identifiable looks of it in flight while it was holding some kind of a rodent. The bird then went out of sight across the street. After a long while of searching out this bird, we were unable to relocate it. A Yellow-bellied Sapsucker certainly gave us some entertainment, though. This is good mainly because I finally got to see it, and I know where it hangs out so I can go back with my mom so she can get a look. Hopefully I'll get a photo to post next time. This was a great lifer to get that was long overdue, maybe my luck with owls will finally change...only time will tell.

Good birding,

- Mike 

No comments:

Post a Comment